While updating my membership class material, I found it useful to summarize each of the covenant membership commitments. I am posting my work here hoping that other Wesleyans (laity, pastors, historians, and scholars) as well as just other Christians might give me some feedback. I hope my summaries maintain the “historic, ethical, and practical standards of The Wesleyan Church,”1 even if I have lost some of the specifics.
- Toward God
- I will regularly attend church.
- I will not join a cult. (or positively) I will be faithful to Jesus Christ.
- Toward Self
I will be generous to others.I will act godly and responsibly with my resources: body, time, and money.
- edited: I will not waste my body, time, or money. (or positively)
I will be responsible with my body, time, and money.I will maintain a good Christian witness with my lifestyle.
- Toward Family
- I will honor and preserve marriage and sexuality.
- I will love my family. (or negatively) I will not abuse my family.
- Toward the Church
- I will help others grow in the faith.
- I will grow in the faith.
- edited (added “ecstatic”): I will not use ecstatic prayer language in corporate worship. (or positively) I will ensure I am understood when speaking during corporate worship.
- Toward Others
- I will help those in need.
- I will respect the rights of all people.
- I will be honest.
1. Glenn D. Black, G., Cady, D., Heer, K., Kind, K., MacBeth, W., Mansell, J., McClung, R. (editors). (2012). The Discipline of The Wesleyan Church 2012. Indianapolis, IN: Wesleyan Publishing House.
2. photo credit: Rennett Stowe via photopin cc